Deadline: December 23rd, 2018
Hosting organization: Centralasiengrupperna
Vacancy: 2 EVS positions
Start date: March (flexible)
Duration: 12 months
EVS vacancies in Swedish NGO Centralasiengrupperna
The following vacancies are available at Centralasiengrupperna, through the EVS project funded by Erasmus+ and managed by the Education, Culture and Audiovisual Executive Agency. Qualified and eligible individuals who are interested in applying for this position are requested to submit their CV together with a one page letter of motivation and one piece of academic paper no more than seven pages (a piece can be an extract from a larger academic paper) to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than December 23rd, 2018. Suitable candidates will then be invited to the second round of the selection process, which will include testing and interviews.
Please note that according to project’s requirements, only holders of Kyrgyz Republic’s passports may apply for the position, who also must be between 17-30 years old.
Project’s aim and description:
The aim of the project is to work on elimination of discrimination based on age, gender and ethnicity in Sweden, Poland and Kyrgyzstan by accepting youth in local communities as agents for change, who strive for a more democratic and inclusive society. Accordingly, the objectives of the project are:
- To build capacity of youth and youth organizations in southern Kyrgyzstan by using innovative methodologies
- To sensitize community members regarding discrimintionbased on age, gender and ethnicity through meetings and information campaigns
- To enable young people to become active citizens within their communities, who demand their rights through democratic processes
- To create regional and international platforms for young people to exchange best practices and experiences
This is done through:
- Capacity-building activities
- Community outreach and mobilization
- Meetings between young people and duty-bearers
- European Voluntary Service
- Mobility of youth workers
EVS volunteers will primarily be working with objectives of the project with other EVSes based in Poland and Kyrgyzstan to reach the overall aim of the project. In addition, EVSes will have responsibilities to:
- Network with local civil society organizations
- Co-organize transnational exchange visits among Poland, Kyrgyzstan, and Sweden alongside with other EVS volunteers in Poland and Kyrgyzstan.
- Facilitate regular study circles dedicated to thematic areas of Human Rights, Women’s Rights, rights of marginalized groups etc in the context of Central Asia and Russia;
- Co-organize “Role Play Day” dedicated to development cooperation and rights-based work in Central Asia;
- Assist with logistics during an exhibition (venues, installment, transportation, monitoring)
- Provide support in organizing and facilitating events within Centralasiengrupperna (dialogue meetings, workshops, trainings, seminars, etc);
- Assist Centralasiengrupperna’s team in the process of project application writing;
- Assist Centralasiengrupperna with recruiting new members and volunteers;
- Provide translations and interpretations if needed;
- Implement own projects that are compatible with work of Centralasiengrupperna and/or our partners;
- Assist Centralasiengrupperna with office work
- Experience of engagement in civil society
- Independence, responsibility and responsiveness
- Good understanding/knowledge of Central Asian contexts
- Fluency in written and spoken English and at least in one local language – Russian, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Kazakh or Uzbek is required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (public speaking is a plus)
- Positive problem-solving approach
- Stress resistance
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills
- Responsiveness and responsibility
About Centralasiengrupperna and your EVS experience
Centralasiengrupperna is a nonprofit organization that is politically and religiously neutral, based in Malmo, Sweden. Our goal is to promote a democratic Central Asia with a strong, active, competent and inclusive civil society that contributes to human rights being respected and social justice achieved. We do this through long-term solidarity work, capacity building, exchange programs, artist/activist residencies and volunteer service, trainings and advocacy work. We are primarily active in the thematic fields of youth, gender, Human Rights, conflict management and anti- discrimination. CAG focuses on the Central Asian region in sense the five post-Soviet republics of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
As an EVS participant you will have a chance to gain experience of being part of non-governmental organization in Sweden and be involved in other activities of local CSOs and social centers. You will also participate in on- arrival and mid-term trainings in Stockholm and upon completion of the program, you will be provided with Youthpass Certificate. You can find more information about Youthpass here: https://www.youthpass.eu/en/ Centralasiengrupperna will provide EVS volunteers with monthly allowance that will cover accommodation and daily living costs. The EVS is envisioned to be a full-time position with flexible working hours amounting to six working hours per day.
For more information about Centralasiengrupperna, please visit: https://centralasien.org/en/home-page-2/
What is European Voluntary Service (EVS)
European Voluntary Service (EVS) is the European Commission’s project that allows a young person (17-30 years) to become a volunteer in another country for a specified period, normally between 2-12 months.
The service activities can be, for example, in the field of environment, arts and culture, activities with children, young people or the elderly, heritage or sports and leisure activities. The project has to take place in a country other than where the volunteers live, is non-profit-making and lasts for a limited period (maximum 12 months).
Participation in EVS is free of charge for the volunteer, except for the contribution to travel costs, which equals 10% of travel costs. Also, the volunteer is not entitled to reimbursement of expenses that are not related to the project. Centralasiengrupperna will cover costs related to international travel, visas and insurance.