Vacancy: 1 EVS volunteer position
Start date: August 2018 (flexible)
Duration: 7 months (flexible)
EVS vacancy in Swedish NGO Centralasiengrupperna
The following vacancy is available at Centralasiengrupperna through an EVS project funded by the Swedish Agency for Youth and Civil Society. Qualified and eligible individuals interested in applying for this position are requested to submit CV together with one page letter of motivation and one piece of academic paper no more than seven pages (a piece can be an extract from a larger academic paper written by you) to viktor(a)centralasien.org no later than May 25th, 2018. Suitable candidates will be invited for an online interview after the deadline.
Please note that according to project’s requirements, only holders of Russian Federation’s passports may apply for the position, who also must be aged 17-30.
General project goals
-Intercultural dialogue between Central Asia, Russia and Sweden;
-Engagement within civil society;
-Strengthen cooperation and solidarity work between Central Asia, Russia and Europe/Sweden;
-Exchange of good practices.
Within these four goals of the project, volunteers will be given flexibility in their EVS activities, while keeping their core responsibilities, such as:
- Assist and facilitate regular study circles dedicated to thematic areas of Human Rights, Women’s Rights, rights of marginalized groups etc in the context of Central Asia and Russia;
- Conduct lectures on different thematic areas on Central Asia in educational institutions (universities, schools, libraries etc);
- Provide support in organizing and facilitating events within Centralasiengrupperna (dialogue meetings, workshops, trainings, seminars and other public events);
- Assist Centralasiengrupperna’s team in the process of project application writing;
- Assist Centralasiengrupperna with recruiting new members and volunteers;
- Provide written and oral translation if needed (Russian, English);
- Participate in activities of our local partners in Malmo, i.e. the social center in Kontrapunkt (http://www.kontrapunktmalmo.net/);
- Implement your own projects that are compatible with work of Centralasiengrupperna and/or our transnational partners.
- Degree (or equivalent) in social sciences or related area of studies;
- Experience of engagement in civil society;
- Good understanding/knowledge of Central Asian contexts;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and at least one local language – Russian, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Kazakh or Uzbek is essential;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (public speaking is a plus)
- Positive problem-solving approach;
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Responsiveness and responsibility
About Centralasiengrupperna and your EVS experience
Centralasiengrupperna is a nonprofit organization that is politically and religiously neutral, based in Malmo, Sweden. Our goal is to promote a democratic Central Asia with a strong, active, competent and inclusive civil society that contributes to human rights being respected and social justice achieved. We do this through long-term solidarity work, capacity building, exchange programs, artist/activist residencies and volunteer service, trainings and advocacy work. We are primarily active in the thematic fields of youth, gender, Human Rights, conflict management and anti- discrimination. CAG focuses on the Central Asian region in sense the five post-Soviet republics of Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.
As an EVS participant you will have a chance to gain experience of being part of non-governmental organization in Sweden and be involved in other activities of local CSOs and social centers. You will also participate in on- arrival and mid-term trainings in Stockholm and upon completion of the program, you will be provided with Youthpass Certificate. You can find more information about Youthpass here: https://www.youthpass.eu/en/ Centralasiengrupperna will provide EVS volunteers with monthly allowance that will cover accommodation and daily living costs. The EVS is envisioned to be a full-time position with flexible working hours amounting in six working hours per day.
For more information about Centralasiengrupperna, please visit: https://centralasien.org/en/home-page-2/
What is European Voluntary Service (EVS)
European Voluntary Service (EVS) is the European Commission’s project that allows a young person (17-30 years) to become a volunteer in another country for a specified period, normally between 2-12 months.
The service activities can be, for example, in the field of environment, arts and culture, activities with children, young people or the elderly, heritage or sports and leisure activities. The project has to take place in a country other than where the volunteers live, is non-profit-making and lasts for a limited period (maximum 12 months).
Participation in EVS is free of charge for the volunteer, except for the contribution to travel costs, which equals 10% of travel costs. Also, the volunteer is not entitled to reimbursement of expenses that are not related to the project. Centralasiengrupperna will cover costs related to international travel, visas and insurance.